024 - Rye Bread #2

Rye Bread
March 12, 2011

I really didn't want to post this. I forgot to take a decent photo with my camera as well. I managed to get through 22 loaves before resorting to another phone-pic. 

Something went horribly wrong. At least a few things, I should say. I started out with high hopes for this bread. The ratio I used was 350 RYE : 150 WHOLEMEAL : 100 WHITE : 300+50 WATER : 5 YEAST : 7 SALT. As usual, I mixed all but the salt and 50g of water and left for 30 minutes to autolyse. After combining the salt and remaining water, I left the dough covered to raise. 

The plan was to avoid kneading and to fold the dough every 30 minutes for about 3 hours, to bench rest and fold the loaf, then shape and raise for another 3 hours or so. After two hours of sticking to the plan, I fell asleep. In the end, I had left the dough to raise for about 10 hours without folding after the first two, and I plopped it into a dutch oven after attempting to shape the dough unsuccessfully. I probably didn't use enough flour to coat the bottom of the dough, but the bread was completely stuck to the inside of the dutch oven after cooking. It looked hideous but tasted okay - the crust was well formed with larger bubbles than the crumb, and the crumb was moist without being too gummy or dense. There's no way my third rye bread will be worse than this one. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment